- Colorado’s suicide rate is the 6th highest in the U.S.
- On average, one person in Larimer County dies from suicide every 4 to 5 days.
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the U.S.
- More people die from suicide than homicide.
- Men are four times more likely to die from suicide than women.
- Over half of all suicides occur in adult men, aged 25-65.
- In Colorado, suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for young people ages 15-24.
- People over 65 have the highest rate of suicide.
Suicide and Mood Disorders
(Depression and Bipolar Disorder)
- Over 90% of the people who die from suicide suffer from a mental illness, most commonly a mood disorder such as depression or bipolar disorder.
- Mood Disorders are common
- 15% of people suffer from Major Depression sometime during their life.
- 3% of people suffer from Bipolar Disorder.
- People with a mood disorder are at greater risk for suicide
- 15% of people with Major Depression die from suicide.
- 20% of people with Bipolar Disorder die from suicide.
- Depression and Bipolar Disorder are both very treatable illnesses. If we can recognize and treat these illnesses, we can save lives!